School District of Palm Beach County
School Choice Options for 2018-2019
What are Choice Programs?
Families with students entering Pre-Kindergarten through grade 12 have the opportunity to choose from an array of theme-based curricula offerings at the elementary, middle, and high school levels that provide innovative and rigorous academic instruction by specially trained teachers. These programs provide students with a pathway to post-secondary educations and career options.
Tips for Making an Informed Choice
Palm Beach County has than 300 Pre-K, Elementary, Middle and High School Choice programs available for you to choose from. Learn more about which program is right for your child by clicking on the choice program you wish to learn more about. The Department of Choice and Career Options also offers guidance and support to help you find the right program for you. Here are just a few ideas:
Ask yourself these questions. The answers will help you get a clearer idea of the programs that may be right for you.
- What are your talents and abilities?
- What activities do you like?
- What careers are you interested in?
Know Your SupportsThe Department of Choice and Career Options offers support throughout the Choice process. You should:
- Visit the Annual Showcase of Schools held every October
- Visit the school’s Open House to learn more about the program
- Talk with the Choice coordinator at the school
- E-mail the Department of Choice and Career Options at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact the Department of Choice and Career Options at 561-434-8755
Narrow Your Choices
Think about the programs that interest you the most. How do they compare with the respect to:
- How well they meet your interests and will help you reach your goals
- Distance from home, travel time and transportation needs
Make Your Decision
Select the 2 programs that you would most like to attend and put them in order. (Choice #1 is your most desired program of choice)
Apply prior to the published annual deadlines
Controlled Open Enrollment (COE)
COE allows parents/legal guardians to apply for a school that is open for Controlled Open Enrollment, for enrollment next school year. The only requirement to apply for COE is the parent/legal guardian and student must reside within the state of Florida.
It is recommended that you research the schools that you are interested in applying for a list your top choices. It is not guaranteed that you will receive your first choice selection.
Students meeting the criteria outlined in School Board policy 5.018 may be eligible for a student reassignment. All reassignment requests will be reviewed accordingly.